Sunday, December 20, 2015

Quick Links - 12/20/2015

Apparently I've been a bit busy trying to clear some of my TBR stack ahead of the new year. My #1 target seems to be graphic novels and manga, because I can get to more of them I guess. Not a bad thing, I hope, but obviously it was a mixed bag. I haven't rated anything a 1/5 yet this year, which is always a good thing, but this batch does see two different 2/5 scores. Still, some very good books in here as well, including a rare 5/5. So yeah, check it out!

Rupert Wong, Cannibal Chef by Cassandra Khaw (Nerds of a Feather, my score 8/10) - I continue to quite like this novella (it's my second review of it, with probably one more to come yet for Goodreads). Dark and complicating the idea of opting out in a corrupt place.

Fables vol. 8: Wolves by Bill Willingham (Goodreads, my score 2/5) - My enjoyment of the Fables books is at an all-time low at the moment with this volume. I might keep going, I might not. I'm in no hurry, at least.

Maus: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (Goodreads, my score 5/5) - It seems vaguely criminal that I've never read all of Maus before, but I'm glad I'm getting to it now when I'm able to see more of what's going on. A very, very good book.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 3-in-1 Edition, Vol. 3 by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (Goodreads, my score 4/5) - Kowaru showed up! Finally the m/m tension I'd been hoping for. The series is still going strong!

Catchee Monkey by Sean Cameron (Goodreads, my score 3/5) - Won this one through the First Reads program and actually it's not a bad comedy/mystery. Not a huge fan of the voice (reminds me a bit of John Dies at the End), but it was cute.

I Am Legend and Other Stories by Richard Matheson (Goodreads, my score 2/5) - I did not really care too much for these stories. I understand that many of them are rather old but they are...well, the dude was obviously working through some woman issues, and it shows.


NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART (my reviews of smut, mostly graphic, probs NSFW)

The World's Greatest First Love, Vol. 1 by Shungiku Nakamura (Goodreads, my score 3/5) - A cute romance set in a manga publisher. Not really steamy but sweet and fun.

Hide and Seek, Vol. 3 by Yaya Sakuragi (Goodreads, my score 4/5) - Now this one is much steamier, and very nice in that it's two grown men in a completely consensual relationship. Rare and very refreshing.

And there you have it! Quite a bit I've been reading lately, and still some more to go in my push to the end of the year ahead of the K. Tempest Bradford Challenge. Which will be awesome. Anyway, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment