Friday, December 9, 2022

Quick Sips 12/09/2022 Eligibility Post

It's the end of the year so I guess it's time that I do an eligibility post? That is what people do, and as much as I am struggling at the moment with most things, I will push myself to try. Because, while it's possible I did a little less in 2022 than 2021, it's not like I still haven't done...a lot. My fiction output might not be the highest, but I've still written many reviews, lists, and other things to help people navigate short speculative fiction, as well as co-edited with the amazing L.D. Lewis the second volume of We're Here: The Year's Best Queer Speculative Fiction. So for ease, I'll separate out my award eligible work into three categories.

FAN WORK

Here is where I am the most prolific, and while my output on Quick Sip Reviews was way down in 2022, I still did quite a bit. So here I'll say I'm eligble for...

Fan Writing in general, including the Hugo for Best Fan Writer

This for my work at Quick Sip Reviews, Locus Magazine, my Patreon, and anywhere else I'm missing. That includes 10 short fiction review columns, over 40 (there will be 52 by the end of the year) recommendation posts, 11 (there will be 12 by the end of the year) lists of Queer Short SFF, a number of comic book and other reviews, and my weekly musings on short SFF, video games, media, and etc that I still post on my blog.

and Best Fanzine for Quick Sip Reviews

I've mulled this one over and decided that I did enough on it to say sure, one more time. I go back and forth on this a lot but I still do post weekly and did a lot in the first few months of 2022 that for one last time, I'll put this forward. After this, unless I revitalize the blog or do more than weekly updates and the occasional review, I will recuse myself. There's certainly the argument that it'd be nice to see new finalists, but also fuck it, I did the work in 2022, so there it is.

SHORT FICTION EDITING

While I only co-edit a single reprint/best of anthology series, I'm also not going to self-reject this. It's work I'm incredibly proud of, and so...

Editor, Short Form (*WITH* L.D. Lewis) for We're Here: The Best Queer Speculative Fiction 2021

Anthology or Collected Fiction (*WITH* L.D. Lewis) for We're Here: The Best Queer Speculative Fiction 2021

The important thing here is please do not nominate me individually for any editing related award.


SHORT STORY

"Ember Hearts in Ashen Bodies" (in Dreams for a Broken World)

"The Demolition of Trucko Brahe" (forthcoming in Luminescent Machinations: Queer Tales of Monumental Invention)


Two stories, neither available for free online and one presumably coming out in late December. The odds are very long, but I'm also rather proud of these as well.


And there we are, my SFF output for 2022 in award eligibility format. Not nothing, certainly. Thanks to everyone who has nominated me in the past for things! You're all amazing!!!

---

Support Quick Sip Reviews on Patreon


No comments:

Post a Comment