Sunday, April 26, 2015

Quick Links - 04/26/2015

Wow, this week has a lot of reviews for my Quick Links. I had a review go up at Nerds of a Feather and Teenreads, plus mostly caught myself up on my Goodreads reviews. So there's a lot to enjoy. Most of the entries are a little on the meh side of things, but there were a few that brought the average up, and no stinkers, so that's always good. Hurrah!

Prophecies, Libels, and Dreams by Ysabeau S. Wilce (Nerds of a Feather, my score 6/10) - A good collection with a great structure and idea. I wanted so much for this to succeed a bit more than I feel it did for me. Still fun, though.

Prophecies, Libels, and Dreams by Ysabeau S. Wilce (Goodreads, my score 3/5) - And here is my inevitable review for myself. Once again, the theme is that I liked it, but wanted a bit more cohesion and a bit more of a complete picture. Still, some very good stories.

Last of the Sandwalkers by Jay Hosler (Teenreads) - I did my Goodreads review of this last links, but here is my more "official" review. Basically, it is a great story. Science! The entire time I was thinking of Bill Nye taking apart Ken Hamm's "science" argument. Good times...

Prince of Dogs by Kate Elliott (Goodreads, my score 4/5) - I liked this entry in the series a bit more than the first book, which bodes well for the rest of the Crown of Stars. Of course, it might be a year or two before I read the next book, but it's still a good read.

Mameshiba: On the Loose! by James Turner, Jorge Monlongo, and Gemma Correll (Goodreads, my score 4/5) - So Mameshiba is adorable! Go look it up on YouTube if you don't know what it is. Bean Dogs! Random Facts! Good life decisions!

MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood (Goodreads, my score 3/5) - I read this out of order as part of a challenge and it was pretty good. I really didn't care for the ending, but I loved the Pigoons!

The Great Glass Sea by Josh Weil (Goodreads, my score 3/5) - This one took me forever to read. I was hoping for more spec but it's definitely in the lit camp and as such is tragic and slow and a bit of a slog at times. Still, an interesting read.

And there you go, seven reviews for your viewing pleasure. And lots of things to come in the next week, as I reach the end-of-the-month crunch. Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Urban Fantasy, Terraform, Lightspeed, and Tor.com all on the docket to review this week, plus a book of poetry I was approached to review. That might not go up until I have an open day, but we'll see. Anyway, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment