Sunday, February 8, 2015

Quick Links 02/08/2015

A smattering of reviews today, some old and some new. Most of this week I was rather lukewarm on, really. The graphic novel, especially, was not my cup of tea. I guess it hit a few of my triggers. But you'll see my review policy at work there. I really hope that I wasn't mean. But I was trying to be...critical. I have no idea if I succeeded. But here you go.

The Sculptor by Scott McCloud (Goodreads, my score 2/5) - I'm normally a fan of what First Second puts out but this was a bit too...well, maybe a little two much the unfortunate male artist. It was not my cup of tea, though there were things I liked about it.

The Spiritglass Charade by Colleen Gleason (Goodreads, my score 3/5) - A Stoker and Holmes book and almost a 4/5 in my mind, but it sort of tries to do too much in my opinion. Vampires and steampunk and mysteries and romance are all done fairly well, but they didn't always meet up the best for me. Still, it was fun and I would read more.

Escape from Kathmandu by Kim Stanley Robinson (Goodreads, my score 3/5) - This was the more disappointing read, because I read the first part of it and really liked it in the Best of KSR collection. The subsequent parts just don't quite live up to that first story, which bummed me out. That said, Freds is hilarious and George starts out as quite fun. Unfortunately I felt a growing distance from George and, well, you can read the review.

In other news...

THE MONTHLY ROUND for January 2015 is up and was a lot of fun to do. So many good stories. And good drinking. This column is probably my favorite thing I do. Aside maybe from some stories. Which I might have news about soon.

But that's it this week. I'm actually hoping to get to some reviews of erotica/yaoi/hentai/ADULT STUFF that I normally shelf as Not For the Faint of Heart on Goodreads. It's lots of fun because I do it tipsy. Because that's what it takes sometimes to tell the world all the, ahem, things I read. Anyway, hoping to get to The Bid by Jax (science fiction erotica) and Smut Peddler (AMAZING graphic novel) soon. Until then, be well and peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment